I have always loved storytelling. Though I may not find myself the greatest of story tellers, I can appreciate the good ones. The best part of a story for me is right before the resolution. I find that part to be the most suspenseful and exciting. Often when I am telling my own story I tend to forget to build suspense and just skip to the big part and then back track. I wanted to make sure when creating a story I did not skip over the background. I want to make sure that there is reason to be invested in a story.

For the storyboard I made I chose the story of Tilikum the orca. While working on the water this summer, I learned a lot about orcas. Specifically Tilikum who was first captured and brought to Sealand of the Pacific; where he was held captive, isolated and used for entertainment. The reason why people would care about this story is because of the outcomes that have come from Tilikum’s story.

Learning about Tilikum’s story while on a boat in the Juan de Fuca straight was heartbreaking. These are the stories that impact you. I was lucky enough to see a pod of orcas this summer and it was magical. To know that these beautiful animals are taken away from their family is a story that has stuck with me. Learning about the impacts of orcas in captivity is important as it not only sheds light on this species but also all the other animals that are used as entertainment. A single story about a whale could change the futures of animal cruelty and abuse.